Daniel Boone churned out a 30-6 win over Sullivan South. Science Hill dropped a 28-20 decision to Elizabethton. David Crockett led Ooltewah 19-16 in the third quarter before lightning suspended the game.
All in all, it was a wild opening week of the 2019 high school football season for the three teams in Washington County.
The Trailblazers got off to a fast start thanks in large part to Army signee Charlie Cole. The senior running back rumbled for 131 yards and two touchdowns, including one score where he dragged several South defenders with him before breaking free.
With head coach Stacy Carter serving a one-game suspension, the Hilltoppers fell behind by two touchdowns before a late rally fell short. Science Hill running back Chris Thomas ran for over 200 yards and a touchdown in the loss.
Crockett was locked in a back-and-forth battle with the Owls of Ooltewah before a slow-moving storm rolled into Jonesborough and ended the proceedings in the closing moments of the third period. The two teams waited it out as long as they could before Ooltewah headed home. The game will not be resumed unless it needs to be finished in order to determine playoff eligibility at the end of the regular season.
The East Tennessee State University Department of Athletics has officially upgraded its game day experience for the 2019 football season. “Delivering a first-class fan experience is a priority for ETSU,” stated Senior Associate Athletic Director for External Operations Dr. Matt McGahey.
“For the 2019 season, we have added new in-game promotions, increased live music performances, created new turnkey tailgating options, introduced select Wendy’s products in our concession stands, a new cannon will fire following touchdowns and an interactive inflatable will be placed inside Greene Stadium. Returning for 2019 will be traditions like the Buc Walk and in-game fireworks for all night games, including a post-game fireworks show for the home opener. Enhancing the ETSU Football game day will allow Buc fans to create special memories with their friends and families that will last a lifetime.”
• 9/7: Shorter Pepsi Fireworks post-game show
• 9/14: VMI 1969 Championship Team Reunion
• 9/21: Austin Peay 2019 Hall of Fame Weekend, ETSU Family Weekend
• 10/5: Wofford
Blue OUT!, Bucky’s BBQ Brawl
• 11/2: The Citadel Homecoming 2019, Bucky’s Low Country Boil Contest
• 11/16: Mercer Heroes’ Day, Senior Day, Bucky’s Chili Cook Off
New at Greene Stadium
• Fire the Cannon!: Be aware that a new cannon has been positioned in the northeast corner on the field at Greene Stadium that will be fired every time the Bucs score a touchdown.
• Instant Replay: Instant replay is coming to the SoCon in 2019. Replays will be triggered by either a coach’s challenge or from the booth.
• Buccaneer Tailgate Cove: ETSU has partnered with East Tenn
Rent-Alls and Celebrate to bring you a new, all-inclusive turnkey tailgate experience. Packages include tents holding 20-60 people next to the Food City Zone complete with tables, chairs, coolers with ice, trash cans, Lot 21 parking passes and other amenities. For reservations contact Celebrate at (423) 282-4142.
• Interactive Inflatable: An interactive inflatable will be added inside Greene Stadium this year near the Southwest Gate.
• Concessions Upgrades: Also debuting in Greene Stadium this year is Wendy’s for classic treats and cold Frosties. There will also be a food truck positioned inside Greene Stadium, serving new menu options for the 2019 season.
• Bucky’s Fan Cook Offs: Three scheduled cooking competitions will be held in the Food City Zone during select games. Contact Calvin Claggett at firstname.lastname@example.org to enter.
• Bojangles’ Turnover for Tea: If the Bucs force a turnover on “TEAFense” then select fans will win a FREE Bojangles’ Legendary Tea.
• Chick-Fil-A Ice The Kicker: If the visiting team misses a field goal or extra point, everyone at the game wins a FREE Chick-Fil-A Ice Dream Cone.
• Wendy’s 4 for 400: If the Bucs gain 400 or more total offensive yards for the game, everyone in a row wins a gift card from Wendy’s.
• Pizza Hut Win: When the Bucs win, select fans will receive a prize courtesy of Pizza Hut.
Pepsi Concert Series
• 9/7 – Rhythm & The Roosevelts
• 10/5 – Spank
• 11/2 – The Jae Marie Project