By Bill Derby
The Rotary Club of Johnson City officially received its Charter from Rotary International June 1, 1917. Seventeen Johnson City leaders met at the Hotel Windsor to plan a local Rotary Club in October, 1916.
To commemorate the event a Centennial Gala was held at the Johnson City Country Club last Saturday evening with dinner and dancing. The club was presented with a ceremonial Centennial Bell by Rotary District Governor, Chris Runion and recognized by Rotary International representative David Stovall.
Club member and District Governor-elect Richard Ray and Dr. John Bradshaw were recognized for their long-time service and commitment to Rotary values and ‘service above self.’
The evening highlight noted Skip Oldham for his 50 plus years of perfect attendance and Dr. John Bradshaw for 35 years perfect attendance.
Charter members of the club in 1917 and their business designation were: J. Edward Brading- Building Supplies: George L. Carter (honorary – Coal Operator; Thad A. Cox – Lawyer; Robert H. Evans – Retail Grocer; Sidney G. Gilbreath – Educator; George Green – Minister; William F. Green – Hotel; Charles G. Hannah – Dry Goods Retailing; H.W. Johnson – Ice Manufacturing; Emmett C. Lockett – Wholesale Grocers; Hugh G. Morrison – Rail Counsel; Peter J. Muse – Printing and Bookbinding; Bert Pounder – Wholesale/Retail Furniture; J. W. Ring – Milling Flour and Meal; Munsey Slack – Newspaper; M.C. Smith – Electric/Railway; James Summers – Wholesale Hardware; J. Wilson Turner – Telephone; Harry Whitehouse – Retail Druggist; George Wofford – Life Insurance.