Move comes late in hospital system’s search for a partner/merger
In the midst of controversy surrounding Wellmont Health System’s strategic search for an “alignment partner,” the hospital system’s CEO, Denny DeNarvaez, has resigned.
Roger Leonard, chairman of Wellmont Health System’s board of directors, issued the following statement Wednesday afternoon:
After four years of strong leadership for our organization, Denny DeNarvaez has decided the time is right for her to leave her role as CEO of Wellmont.
We are experiencing a period of great transformation here at Wellmont as our board continues its process to explore the right and best path to ensure a future that allows us to thrive for generations to come. It is not unusual during these times of transition that there be a change in leadership.
We thank Denny for her contributions to Wellmont during the most pivotal time ever experienced in the health care industry. Under her leadership, Wellmont has accomplished many important strategic objectives, such as:
· Establishing Wellmont Medical Associates, the Wellmont CVA Heart Institute and the Wellmont Cancer Institute as market leaders
· Introducing the Wellmont LiveWell initiative to improve community health and wellness
· Expanding Wellmont’s regional access through new physician offices, testing centers and urgent care centers
· Implementing the Epic electronic health record with record pace and best-practice execution
· Adopting the Healing Environment, which advances the patient- and family-centered focus of our care delivery.
She has also established a strong executive leadership team, which remains to capably assist with this transition. We wish her well in her future endeavors.
During this time of transition, the board and Wellmont’s executive leadership team will work together until an interim CEO is identified, Leonard said.
The focus of our board continues to be the work of determining the right strategic direction for Wellmont and health care in our region, and we are encouraged by the options before us.
Denny DeNarvaez, president and CEO, issued the following statement:
I am so proud of all that we have accomplished here at Wellmont during my time as CEO. Every day, our physicians and nurses and co-workers serve tirelessly to bring comfort and healing to patients and their families across the region during the most vulnerable of times.
I thank everyone for welcoming me into the Wellmont family for the past four years, and I hope you will understand my need to transition at this time.