Download Election Notice here.
WASHINGTON COUNTY ELECTION NOTICE
County Republican & Democratic May Primary &
Independent Candidates for the August General Election
To the voters of Washington County, you are hereby notified pursuant to TCA 2-12-111(a), that a Republican and Democratic Primary has been called by both political parties’ executive committees. The Primary Election will be held on May 1, 2018. Independent candidates for county offices that will be filled in the August County General Election must also file their qualifying petitions as listed below.
Republican, Democratic, and Independent Candidates
County Mayor – 4 year term
County Commissioner (all seats)
(County Commissioner Districts as follows: – 4 year term
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th )
County Trustee – 4 year term
Sheriff* – 4 year term
Circuit Court Clerk – 4 year term
County Clerk – 4 year term
Register of Deeds – 4 year term
Any other office or question timely filed that may appear on the ballot
• The first day for primary and independent candidates to pick up a nominating petition for this election was November 17, 2017.
• Petitions may be picked up at the Washington County Election Commission Office.
• Qualifying deadline will be Thursday, February 15, 2018, at 12:00 NOON for those running as a Republican, Democratic, or Independent candidate.
• *Individuals desiring to run for the office of sheriff must submit the required paperwork with the Peace Officers Standard and Training (POST)Commission no later than Thursday, February 1, 2018; [TCA § 8-8-102 (b) (1)]. This is 14 days before the petition qualifying deadline.
• Candidates for the office of sheriff that fail to file all the required documentation by the February 1, 2018, deadline with the appropriate agency for their office will not have their name placed on the election ballot.
• The withdrawal deadline will be Thursday, February, 22, 2018 at 12:00 NOON.
• The last day to register to vote in person or by mail postmark for the May 1, 2018, County Primary Election will be Monday, April 2, 2018.
The Election Commission will be closed on the following holidays:
New Year’s: January 1st and 2nd
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: January 15, 2018
President’s Day: February 18, 2018 Good Friday: March 30, 2018
Washington County Election Commission
100 E Main Street, Jonesborough, Tn 37659
Regular Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
For more information contact the Washington County Election Commission:
Phone: (423) 753-1688 Fax: (423) 913-8430
Public Notice for Elderly Voters or Voters with Disabilities
Any elderly voter or voter with a disability whose polling place is inaccessible may vote early by absentee ballot or at the Election Commission Office on Election Day. TCA-2-3-109 (e) (1)
If voters choose to vote at the Election Commission Office on Election Day, they must complete an affidavit at the Election Commission
Office no later than April 21, 2018, (ten days prior to the election), stating that their designated voting location is not accessible.
For more information, please contact the Washington County Election Commission office.
PHOTO ID REQUIRED FOR VOTERS: if you are voting in person during Early Voting or on Election Day, a federal or State of
Tennessee Government issued photo ID is required for voting unless an exception applies. College student ID’s and out-of-state photo ID’s will not be accepted. Forms of acceptable identification, even if expired, include a Tennessee driver license with your photo, United States passport, Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security photo ID, Photo ID issued by the federal government, United States military ID including a Veteran Identification Card, and a Tennessee handgun carry permit with your photo. To learn more about this law and its exceptions, please call the Washington County Election Commission or visit GoVoteTN.com.
WASHINGTON COUNTY ELECTION COMMISSION
100 E. Main Street
Jonesborough, Tn 37659
Phone: (423) 753-1688
Fax: (423) 913-8430
C. B. Kinch-Member